When I was putting Mallory to bed last night she said, “Mom, that was awesome how the Padres got two guys out at the same time, right?” referring to the double play we witnessed from our seats at PETCO Park on Sunday. She has no interest in playing, but attending her brother’s Little League games for the past three years seems to have inspired an interest in watching baseball.
Your kids don’t have to enjoy baseball to have a great time at PETCO Park. Every Sunday is Kids Fest, when bouncy houses, face painters and balloon artists form a kid zone in the “Park in the Park,” a grassy area just outside of the stadium.
But every day in the Park in the Park is fun for kids who get a chance to run around, roll down the grassy hill, play whiffle ball and be loud. Parents can sit and talk, drink awesome craft beers and watch the game on the giant screen.
When you go to Petco Park, be sure to help your child sign up for the Junior Padres.
Gage joined on Sunday and got the opportunity to attend a post-game batting clinic ON THE FIELD with the Padres’ hitting coach!
He also loved playing on the Park in the Park’s whiffle ball field.
Helen Woodward was hosting an adoption event, which made Mal happy.
A day at PETCO Park is a quality way to spend family time. Here are some tips to note before planning your visit…
- PETCO Park’s policies allow parents to bring food and sealed water bottles, milk and juice boxes 20 ounces or less into the stadium.
- Some of the best seat options with kids are the bleacher seats, that include a sandy play area called “the beach,” and the “Park in the Park” tickets where you bring a blanket and sit on the grassy knoll, giving kids the chance to run around.
- Joining the Junior Padres is FREE and gives children ages 14 and younger the chance to interact with the players, get on the field and earn a gift just by scanning their Junior Padres card at each home game.
- There are a number of interactive activities. Kids can play whiffle ball for free, can test their pitching speed for free with the Lexus Challenge at the stadium entrance or pay $3 for 6 pitches like we did.
- There are five more Kids Fest Sundays in this season. We’re looking forward to September 21st so our Junior Padre can run the bases!
- Mom’s Guide readers can take advantage of discounts up to 50% off of select seats by using the code SDMOM14.