This is the official notice on the Reserve America website, reminding us that summer camping is just around the corner: California State Park On-sale Begins January 2 (Monday 8AM PST). Arrivals for July will be On-sale (Jul 1st through 31st). Sign-in before 8:00AM PST for your best on-sale experience (10 minutes before is fine).
For families like ours, with kids who don’t get out of school until later in June, January 2nd is an important day. We’ll be online ATTEMPTING to snag a coveted beach camping site with about 1 million other people. It’s a long shot, but here’s an article from year’s past about why we do it, and why you should too . . .
We had an awesome time beach camping with friends last summer and have been looking forward to booking our own family campsite ever since. Kids love riding their bikes through the camp site, we spend the whole day just lazing around the beach or campsite, playing games, cooking food, hanging out. It’s a very inexpensive way to soak up the San Diego life. Reservations open 7 months in advance, so January 2nd at 8 a.m. is the first opportunity to plan for July.
San Diego County has 70 miles of beaches fronting the Pacific Ocean, and two large bays. But overnight tent camping is available in just two state park beaches (Carlsbad & San Elijo)-and only on designated bluff-top campgrounds, not the actual sand.
Greg really wants to check out Silver Strand State Beach, but since we don’t have an RV, we’ll have rent one in order to camp there.
If you are thinking about summer beach camping, here are a few things you should know…
- Sites for August 2017 will become available on February 1st at 8 a.m.
- Plan ahead so that when you log into ReserveAmerica.com, you’re ready to go
- Visit this link for a list of current camping fees
- Reserve America says that there are no priority lists or perks for repeat customers; everyone has equal access to available sites when they go on sale
- Everything you ever wanted to know about camping in California can be found in this reservation guide