I loved the advice on how to build a family first aid kit that our friends at Children’s Physician’s Medical Group recently shared. Over the years I have found that the only way to reduce worry and stress about keeping my kids safe is to empower myself with preparedness.

I have learned how to turn off the gas in our home in case of fire. We have secured bookshelves and mirrors to the walls in case of earthquakes. I have at least 3 days worth of food and water stored in case of a variety of emergencies that could make it hard to get groceries.

A simple first step to peace of mind is building your first aid kit. The essentials include hydrogen peroxide, gauze pads, bandages, triple antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, Benadryl, Motrin, Tylenol, safety pins, q-tips, scissors, a thermometer, ace bandage and a finger splint. It’s important to check expiration dates and replenish and replace when necessary.

CPMG is helping moms like us by giving away a 100-piece first aid kit that is perfect for your home or car. Enter for your chance to win by commenting here. Tell us, what do you do to reduce worry over family safety?

16 thoughts on “How to Build Your Family’s First Aid Kit (and other emergency preparedness ideas)

1. Congrats to our winner, Lindsay! We will contact you via email to set up the delivery of your First Aid Kit compliments of CPMG San Diego. 🙂

2. Abby says:

I reduce my worry by preparing as much as possible — but I sure could use some help in that department! What a great kit!

3. Jasmine says:

I have extra clothes and snacks in the car for the kids, and try not to let my gas tank go too low in case of need for evacuation.

4. Judy Galindo says:

I try to have some back up supplies on hand and ready to go also cpr trained but this kit is great and would be nice to have on hand or in the car.

5. Amy says:

I have a bag packed all the time with a handful of small toys for the kids (cars, coloring books, dry erase cards) and a couple small water bottles and granola bars. In case we ever need to unexpectedly run somewhere (like to the Dr for an injury) I can grab the bag and know they’ll be semi entertained & have a snack while we wait!

6. Jenny says:

This is a good reminder for my family to be prepared! I have taken CPR and first aid classes for kids!

7. Anne Gange says:

Having a good first aid kid like this one will help jumpstart reducing worry.

8. Malia F says:

We have a bin in the storage of our House with a zip bag with all important docs a change of clorhes,some personal hygiene items some family photos and Baby needs (which I might have to update now since my LO is a preschooler almost now) and some pet care items.

I’d love to add this first aid kit to it as well!

9. Kathryn says:

This is a good reminder. I need to restock my emergency kit supplies…

10. Heather Hall says:

I try to keep up with current treatment recommendations and do any preventative care that I can to avoid illness and injury. However, having a good first aid kit and a “go-bag” in case of fire evacuation is something I really need to step it up on. Thanks for the tips!

11. Jessica says:

I made a first aid kit that is in the back of my car. It would be really great to have a kit inside the home! Thank you!

12. Lindsay says:

What a great kit to have to bring ease of mind knowing you’ll be prepared if an injury does happen! I always try to have the basics with me when we are out and about…band aids, alcohol wipes, Neosporin. But I would love a kit like this to have it all together and organized!

13. Anela says:

Oh this is great. We also try to keep prepared with basic first aid kits in car and house but when I go to use them they are expiered or all the bandaids are gone.

14. Dana crake says:

So cool. My first aid kit is so lacking…

15. Lila Evans says:

Thanks for sharing Jen! We look forward to sending the kit the winner.

16. Veronica says:

I need ine for my family 🙂